To start the new year out right, I am holding a contest for Interim House in Philadelphia. This is a 6-month rehab facilityfor women, with both in- and out-patient programs. Their social worker has added knitting (and crochet) to the therapy schedule, and it is hugely popular. Hmm . . . wonder why! Check out the blog linked above so you can see how much they are accomplishing and what progress the beginner knitters are making. I am amazed and thrilled at the varying experience levels and I LOVE those felted totes they're into now. Maybe I can get them to share the pattern with us!!!
You can see why this is a great opportunity to spread the knitting joy. They have tons of enthusiasm and guidance (and the interns are learning alongside them! woo-hoo!). What they don't have funds for is the raw materials--mainly yarn, but also knitting needles, crochet hooks, etc.
Here's how my contest will work:
1. Gather a few skeins from your stash (you know, the one spilling out from that closet, or off of that shelf) that would make great gifts.
2. See if you have extra needles or crochet hooks that you can spare.
3. You can create a kit for a specific project if you like, but it's not necessary.
4. Write a postcard or a short note from your neck of the woods--the ladies enjoy hearing from people all over the country, or even the world! Tell them if you knit or crochet (or both) and what projects you like to do best.
5. Box them up and address your care package to:
Kathy Duffy, Social Worker
Interim House Inc.
333 W. Upsal St.
Philadelphia PA 19119
6. Now here's the contest part. When you have sent your package winging its way to Philly, email me that you did, and give me some idea of what you included. I will put your name in a drawing that I will hold on Feb. 28. Should your name be the one I pull out, you will win--Vanna, tell them what they'll win!
A knitting bag from Jordana Paige!
--brown, capacious*, and well-designed!
Several skeins of excellent yarn!
--none of it acrylic, all of it delicious (what are your favorite colors? least favorite?)
--let me know if you mainly knit or crochet
Super secret extras too numerous to mention ,
--but some of which are highly caloric (and of course edible ;^)
*can you tell I teach English????
So . . . um, what are you waiting for? Go to it! You know you want to win!